Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Beginning - June, 2010

A few weeks ago, I celebrated a milestone birthday. I spent time thinking about the beginning and end of life chapters so far. Where did the chapter of my interest in local food begin? Well, I clearly remember planting green beans with my grandfather on the side of their home in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio. My grandfather carefully dug the holes while I had the fun task of dropping seeds into each hole. I guess for me this was a beginning. The start of learning how plants grow and of how the simple act of planting seeds can begin to change one's life. Of course at the time I couldn't possibly know this was a beginning and it would be another ten years before I planted again.....this time in a college course.

The botany course was titled “Alternative Agriculture”. I was a geography major, but we also had to choose nine credits within either the botany or geology department. Excited to take part in some botany courses, I set off for my first adventure in the campus gardens. With my own garden bed, a hippie botany professor and one of my best friends, I planted my first garden. We waited and watched and watered and finally....I pulled my first beet. I remember being shocked at how simple it all seemed. Plant the tiny seeds and with time you get a beautiful sphere of deep red – a sweet beet. From then on, I was hooked. My education and interest in local food, gardening and environmental issues compiled at a rapid pace from then on.

I would love to hear about your beginning. Are you new to local food issues? Are you a seasoned pro who cans and freezes the harvest every year? Chime in and share. (This blog was first published on gardenshare.org in June of 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment