Sunday, June 12, 2011

Top Ten Reasons by Naomi Crowell

Yesterday, my mom and I drove out to a farmstand near Potsdam. My mom and I looked at all the local vegetables, baked goods, honey, maple syrup, jam and more. All of it looked very yummy! I was feeling so excited and I wanted to look at the cookies first. However, my mom wouldn't let me look at them until after we looked at the vegetables. We decided to buy tomatoes, asparagus, cucumbers and lettuce. My mom tells me she thinks they grow the tomatoes and cucumbers indoors to have them so early.

After picking out the vegetables, we picked out oatmeal-raisin cookies (we didn't buy the chocolate chip) and a loaf of homemade bread. We gave all the things to the cashier. Then we went to look at other stuff like handmade bonnets, jam, honey and soap. My mom also was excited to see that they also now sell chicken and beef. For today, we settled on eggs instead. We weren't going straight home and didn't have a cooler.
Naomi and the tomato she picked out


After we paid and got back into the car, we ate a cookie and it was delicious! It was all so exciting! Here are my top ten reasons why I think you should visit a farm stand.

1.It isn't very crowded.
2.The stuff is all local.
3.You can get a parking space.
4.It is usually sheltered from the rain.
5.Some farm stands have other stuff besides food like handsewn bonnets.
6.They are open early and close late.
7.There are many choices of items and each month will be different.
8.If you don't have time for the grocery store, just go to a farmstand.....they are fast!
9.It is very fun!
10.If you are shy, you don't have to talk to a lot of people.

My mom stops at many farm stands all summer and sometimes we get berries, like strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes we get raspberries. Sometimes what we buy doesn't even make it home because we eat them all in the car. That happens with berries and cookies. I hope you can get to a farmstand soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment